Devin Dawson releases new album, Dark Horse, Friday
Devin Dawson is releasing his studio album Dark Horse tomorrow. That means, if you haven’t already preordered it, you’ll soon be able to own it outright.
Dawson has been named one of Pandora’s Country Music Artists to Watch in 2018, and we can’t deny that we aren’t shrieking with excitement to see him perform at Country Fest Friday, June 22 (get your tickets now! Prices go up at the end of the month).
Why is this an album you should check out? Well, you’ve probably been caught singing to his single “All on Me,” and you’re going to want to be caught jamming to the rest of the album.
First, some things you need to know about Dawson:
- Dawson first found fame when he covered a Taylor Swift song in 2014 and posted it to YouTube.
- He’s a lyric guy, so listen closely. He’s got some crafty lyrics in these songs.
- His Twitter handle is @zdevin. Why? When he was a kid, Dawson convinced his classmates that his name was spelled with a silent “z.” The whole thing stuck. That’s funny.
- He’s deeply attached to Johnny Cash and the country music world: he grew up in California near Folsom State Prison.
- Dawson has written music for other artists for a few years in Nashville—he’s got diversity and style you can hear in Dark Horse.
- He’s opened for Maren Morris and toured with Tim McGraw and Faith Hill.
Now, about the Album Dark Horse:
- Dark Horse was appropriately titled after one of the album’s tracks. “Dark Horse” captures every corner of my heart, everything I am and everything I believe in,” Dawson told The Boot last fall.
- The tracks “Dark Horse,” along with “All on Me” and “Secondhand Hurt,” have been available for instant download.
- Dark Horse was produced by Jay Joyce, who has also worked with Eric Church, Little Big Town and Brothers Osborne.
- The album cover is hand-drawn in the style of 1960s mosaic-style imagery, featuring Dawson, surrounded by icons of his art and inspiration.
Stuff you should check out:
Visit his website to watch & listen to Dawson and his co-writers talk about each track on the new album. They visit the location where each was written, and discuss specific details about various components of the songs. Purchase your Country Fest tickets now to see Devin Dawson perform these and all his other amazing songs in person! Hurry–prices increase January 31!